Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Lost Continent of Malzthurdän - a Gygax '75 Challenge campaign setting, Part 2

Week 2 of the Gygax '75 Challenge presents us with the following tasks: Make a map of the local area, populate it with important locations including a "base" starting town and a entrance to a dungeon that will be the focus of most of the adventures, and create a random encounter table.  Easier said than done.  I thought that this would be one of the quicker tasks, but I soon realized that it could become quite cumbersome.  I'm not an artist, so I didn't feel making a hand drawn map.  After a few days I came to grips with Hexographer, and was able to create a reasonable map of coastline, jungle region, and main river for the adventurers to explore.While it should have been fairly straight forward to create one random encounter table, I figures that there should be different tables for some of the different areas on my map, such as the swamp, the river, and the mountains.  It was tempting to default to the tables from B/X or the AD&D monster books, but I wanted something custom, so I settled on 4 separate tables. I'll probably update these as I find more/better monsters to populate them.  (I'm realizing that I have a very limited familiarity with the broad spectrum of monsters that have been created for D&D).  Part of wanting custom tables was wanting very specific monsters in this area. I wanted at least two intelligent "monster" factions in the area, and ones that would fit the theme.  Since this is "starting" area I setting on Lizardfolk and Ophidians, and one hidden group that could prove a strong ally to adventurers.



  1. Base camp/town - More on this in week 4, but unlike most starting towns, this is a very small outpost, more of a fortified camp.  Provisions are limited, but it is relatively safe.
  2. Lost colony? -  The remains of a village that could have been a previous human/demi-human colony?
  3. Remains of a ruin - First signs of an ancient demi-human civilization
  4. Lizardfolk Totem - A marker of the Lizardfolk.  Tributes can be found at the base.  Recent activity
  5. Forgotten monument - Another sign of ancient civilization. Some words, possible direction
  6. Trampled clearing - Do the gods walk here?
  7. Overgrown statue - You wouldn't know because of the vegetation growing on it, but this is a bronze statue of a long forgotten Elven hero.
  8. Lizardfolk village - Territorial, but willing to listen to reason
  9. Ophidian village 1 - Aggressive, superstitious, hungry
  10. Ophidian village 2 - Aggressive, VERY superstitious, knowledgeable
  11. Minor ruined buildings -Not much to see.  Possible clues to 12
  12. Ruined city - Dungeon Entrance - Broken buildings, overgrown streets. Doors lead to riches and bitter ends.
I've kept the descriptions of the numbered locations very brief at this point.  I will continue to develop these in greater detail in the future, but going by the example that Ray Otus gave in the challenge the level of detail I have currently is more than enough.

Jungle (and Hills)
 2D4   Encounter  Hook
 2 Stirges 
 3 Lizardfolk Scouting/Raiding party in Bullywug territory
 4 Giant Snake 
 5 Ophidians Guards/hunters from 9 or 10
 6 Jaguar 
 7 Baboon 
 8 Treant If encountered within 1 hex of 6, party encounters a Moot 

Jungle Mountains
 2D4   Encounter  Hook
 2 Roc 
 3 Giant Snake  
 4 Gorillas 
 5 Kobolds Guards/Hunters coming from 12, or 2 in 6 chance party has found a Lair
 6 Giant Bats 
 7 Su-monster 
 8 Tiger 


River
 2D4   Encounter  Hook
 2 Giant Anaconda 
 3 Giant Insect, Flying 
 4 Piranha 
 5 Bullywugs  
 6 Giant Turtle 
 7 Crocodiles 
 8 Hippos 


Swamp
 2D4   Encounter  Hook
 2 Giant Leech 
 3 Ophidians Scouting/Raiding party in Lizardfolk territory
 4 Giant Frog 
 5 Lizardfolk Guards/hunters
 6 Giant Snake 
 7 Giant Insect, Flying 
 8 Will-O-Wisp Only at night, otherwise, no encounter

I have not included hooks for every entry as so many of these are animals.  Number appearing etc is also undefined, as it makes sense to scale that to the party to some degree.

Next week is the biggie: Three levels of a dungeon. I'm going to go ahead and do this as part of the challenge and as an exercise, but I'm a big believer in using published adventures, adapting them, and plugging them into your own campaign. If I were to plug in a pre-made dungeon at this point (such as the classic Caverns of Thracia) I would spend the extra time on the map locations and wandering monster tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment