Friday, October 14, 2022

A new campaign - Castle Xyntillan

So after a long time away from the hobby, I'm starting up a new campaign with friends with myself as the DM.  I've chosen Castle Xyntillan as the basis for this campaign for various reason, but mostly because it is an amazing adventure module.  It would seem to be ready to run as is; just grab a copy of Swords and Wizardry and you are ready to go.

Or not.

Like most people likely to read this blog, I can't leave well enough alone, and so I'm already adding house rules to this campaign.  Some probably aren't needed, but I think they add to the game in the long term.  The first change is that I will be using the OSE basic rules as the core ruleset for the players. I settled on this because it was free, has the best layout, and doesn't include demi-humans.  Nothing against Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings but they don't seem to quite fit in with the setting. So only the four core character classes are available (at least to start).

Because of the number of small edits that I would like to make, I really would prefer to create a whole new rulebook, but I really don't have the time or inclination to do all of that work.  Instead I have created a Players' Guide which includes all of the edits and additions that I have made.  Some of these are fairly basic, and similar to other rulesets.  I'm using the Cleric spell progressions from Labyrinth Lord, the To-Hit progression from Original Edition Delta, and new Saving Throw tables I've devised with smoothed progression. I'm also incorporating many of the ideas from Courtney Campbell's amazing On Downtime and Demesnes

Additionally, I'm adding in some ideas of my own.  Some of these are just extra spice; things that aren't really needed but could be interesting.  Others are rules I've added to address certain issues that I think will come up in the campaign.  For example, there's a lot of level draining undead in Xyntillan, but the local Cleric is only level 2.  So there's a need for a system to allow for PCs to find an NPC that can cast spells like Remove Curse, Restoration, and Raise Dead.

I intend to try to keep up with this blog, but we all know how things go.  I lesson I have learned from good bloggers and YouTubers over the year is to have a set schedule with different themes/topics.  Currently I have several topics that I want to write about, first being this new campaign.  Secondly I've been meaning to write a detailed room by room examination of The Tomb of Horrors.  That alone could keep me busy with weekly blog posts for most of a year.  I'd also like to look at other standout rooms and encounters from classic modules. And finally I'd like post regularly about various rules. As much as I try to resist, I'm always one to mess around with different rules, and I'd like to get these thoughts on paper, even if I don't get a chance to try them in play.


No comments:

Post a Comment